Saturday, April 3, 2010

Friends, Neighbours & Toenails

Recently I moved into a tiny flat above a shop in East Brunswick. My two neighbours are good friends of mine and it has been great having them living across the hall. We meet in the stairwell and complain about our working days. We share pasta and lentil soup, and celebrate each others successes by drinking beer out in the courtyard. You could call us happy neighbours. Though despite this closeness, there are some topics that we differ on.

One such example is from a few weeks ago. 


I was cutting my toe nails one afternoon. Its something that I don't do often enough but I endeavour to stay on top of it as best I can. Anyway, so there I was, cutting my toenails when I heard my neighbour come up the stairs and open the door to her flat. My first thought was. If she knocks on my door to see what I'm up to, will I pretend as though I"m doing something else, or instead will I be truthful and tell her I'm cutting my toenails.

It may seem like a strange question, but it's what came into my head. I wasn't sure if she'd think that was too much information or gross, or why I thought she might benefit from that information. Despite being such good friends and living across the hall from each other, we try to ensure that each others privacy is always respected. Sometimes they are difficult waters to navigate and other times it seems it's best not to worry about it at all.

So taking into consideration all these things, I thought it through while waiting for the expected knock on the door. I decided that I probably would tell her. It seemed silly to tell a lie about something as small as this. I did, however, decide I would wash my hands before answering the door. As it happened though, I waited and waited but there was no knock on the door.

I finished cutting my nails, washed my hands then decided to see why she hadn't knocked on my door. What could she be up to that would stop her from saying hi when she got home?

I knocked on the door.
     'Hey! What you up to?' I said with my face up to the door. Without hesitation she shouted back.
    'I'm cutting my toenails!'

No comments:

Post a Comment